HMRC – Changes to payment methods

With the Self Assessment payment deadline (31st January 2018) approaching it is important to note that HMRC are making changes to the ways in which payments can be made.

  1. From 13th January 2018 due to the EU Payment Services Directive 2, HMRC will no longer be accepting payments made from personal credit cards. Please note debit cards and corporate credit cards will continue to be accepted.
  2. From 15th December 2017 the ‘pay at the Post Office’ service is also being withdrawn.

The GOV.UK website has guidance on paying your Self Assessment tax bill and alternative options for payments that may be available to you.

Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer 10% of your personal allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner – if they earn more than you, subject to certain criteria.

You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2015 that you were eligible for Marriage Allowance.

You can get Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • your income is less than the personal allowance (currently £11,500)
  • your partner’s income is not more than the basic rate tax band i.e. between £11,501 and £45,000 (or £43,000 if you’re in Scotland)

If you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935, you might benefit more as a couple by applying for Married Couple’s Allowance instead.

Please do not hesitate to contact Katy directly if you would like further assistance with this or indeed any other tax matters.